Wednesday 31 August 2011

#10 Anya- The Pact

 I cant quite work out what's going on. The girls have huddled closer together resembling some kind of creepy little cult meeting. I must be drifting in and out of sleep as I can only really hear mutterings and the occasional enthusiastic "Amen!" or "Preach it!" from Eva.

I can't quite fully slip into unconciousness as Rebecca's monotone drawl of a voice is like a distant drilling on my skull, but the semi-dreams I am having are dark and intense with contorted figures floating about my mind like the bloody cirque du soleil; I keep jerking awake and wondering who the shady character gatecrashing my sleep is, it doesn't feel like Harley.

Too much gin. Gin baaad.

I finally snap straight out of my sleepy haze when I hear "Christmas party?" uttered by Grace.

"When are we having a party?" I ask rubbing my puffy, sore cheek and shuffling closer to the crazy lady cult.

Yasmin looks pleased with herself, "Tomorrow night. At Lenny's if you can persuade Danny?"

They look at me expectantly, like wide-eyed labrador puppies.

"Um... Sure?"

I love a party as much as the next slut, and it might only be the 1st of December but Tuesdays are pretty dead at the club so a xmas party could be just what everyone needs.

Yasmin jumps up and hugs me and the others squeal like 12-year-olds at a school disco.

"Okay, we invite EVERYONE we know. Work colleagues, Facebook friends, one-night-stands, family- if you want. This has to be huge. And totally rife for SLUT sabotage"

I screw up my face as Yasmin makes wild hand gestures listing the people we could invite to the party, "Did I miss something?"

Eva jumps in, "Yes. You did. We are having the ultimate WE'RE SINGLE night and celebrating our..." she looks over uncertainly at Yasmin for a cue, "essential... feminine independence and prowess?"

Yasmin nods proudly.

Grace sits quietly in the corner, looking at the chest of drawyers where sat a picture of her and Assmunch cuddling.

"And after the party... You'll help me break Ben's heart?" she asks quietly, her eyes fixated.

I shrug off my sleep, "No"

As I say this, Rebecca simultaneously says "Of COURSE" and for a moment our eyes meet, and I maintain it can only be comparable to how it felt looking into Medusa's eyes.

I scowl at Medusa and wrap my arms round Grace's shoulders.

"Gracie this is stupid"

As I say this the others look at me like I'm Josef fricken Fritzl or something, I pull her head to look at me, "I know he has really hurt you. But he's a moronic jerk and he will regret this for the rest of his life. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a fist to the nose, oh BOY does he, but don't get fixated on this... You'll go... crazy"

I think this is probably the most logical and profound I've ever been; and who'd have thought it only took some liquor and a blow to the skull.

She looks at me, her pretty green eyes sparkly with tears, but doesn't say anything. If I know Grace Griffiths, her mind is made up. Who am I kidding; the crazy always defeats the rational.

The girls look smug and Yasmin sits me down, grasping my hand; I feel like I'm meeting with the guidance councillor again. She looks at me like she can see into my soul, how does she do that? I swear she can hear my thoughts right now. Stop thinking Anya.

Grace, Eva and Medusa are topping up their drinks and discussing party outfits, Yasmin picks up the ice bag I threw on the floor when I arrived and dabs my cheek gently.

I don't flinch, she has an incredibly soothing character, kind of like a witch doctor or something. She's so beautiful too; these incredible hazel eyes and velvety chocolate skin, if she wasn't my friend I'd probably try and sleep with her.

"Anny, I know you didn't get that from a thrown bottle..."

This throws me. Fuck I must be a shit liar.

"Sure I did.. I already told you that bitch from Lenny's-"

She stops me with a look. Crap, she really must be a mind reader.

I look away from her, I feel awkward, like I'm 16 and right back in the principle's office again.

"Yas, would you- um, would you not tell the others? Especially Gracie... She'd tell my brother and-"

She takes the ice pack away and looks troubled, "I won't tell anyone. But you should think again about what I said. We might sound a little mental... But I'm sick of seeing my friends screwed about by men. Why shouldn't we take pleasure in a little pain? To forgive is divine; to revenge is human"

I'm not an English graduate, or even an avid reader of quotes, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't an accurate one.

She continues, "Think about it at least. You know we all have your back...even Rebecca."

No comments:

Post a Comment