Friday 12 August 2011

#6 Grace- The Pact

 So no sooner than Rebecca had uttered that last sentence, comes a gigantic CRASH and my front door collapsing to the floor, along with some stray plastering.

Through what was once my door and is now a hole in a wall came a flurry of limbs and blonde hair in the form of Anya.

"WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU HUH? COME OUT YOU LITTLE MAGGOT, IM GONNA KNOCK YOU INTO NEXT YEAR. NO ONE CHEATS ON MY BEST FRIEND AND-"

"Anya!" I say patiently, watching her fly past us into my bedroom.

"HIDING ARE WE? THAT'S OK, MAKES IT MORE FUN FOR WHEN I FIND YOU AND POUND YOU"

"Anya." She storms into the kitchen and throws a wine glass against my wall.

"I'M GETTING PISSED OFF NOW BENNY WENNY, COME OUT HERE-"

"ANYA"

"What." She looks at me, gasping for breath, having clearly just sprinted the speed of a cheeter up 13 floors of stairs.

"He's not here."

She pauses, breathing heavily, and looks at the four of us sat sheepishly on my sofas. Rebecca tuts knowingly, and the others stare, mouths to their vaginas.

"Anya... " Eva says in a bewildered tone, "I think you just broke down Grace's door"

Rebecca scoffs, "Good effort, even for you"

Anya ignores this and having regained her breath walks slowly over to me and kneels on the floor in front of me. Her eyes are bloodshot so she's clearly wasted, or tripping out (I never can tell what she's on these days) and I notice the slight formation of a blueish bruise spreading slowly across her right cheekbone to her under-eye. She puts her hands on my knees, and resting her body weight on me she looks up.

"Gracie, I'm so sorry. I'll pay for it. I was just so mad at that little weasel", she's slurring, "I, you know, you're just, my best fffriend and I won't let anyone do that to you because you're my best friend you know"

I cut her off, "Anya it's fine", and it really is, that door was long needing replacement anyway, "what the fuck happened to you? Where have you been? And why have you got a black eye?"

The girls crane round to check this out.

"Shit Anya! Did you fight someone again?" Eva asks her, rushing over and wiping her booze-soaked hair out of her face so she can look at the bruise.

"I'll get ice" Yasmin walks off, rational as ever.

Rebecca remains seated and uninterested, "She probably lamped a barman again".

Anya glares at her, "Hey. See what I did to that door bitch?" She starts to get up but I tug her back down and grab her hands. Yasmin brings over the pack of Birds Eye peas and tries to press it against Anya who flinches and pushes her away

"Look thanks but I'm fine," she gets up and sits close to me on the sofa, her breath reeks of gin and I notice that her cheeks are also stained with mascara, matching mine, "That bitch at Lenny's threw a beer glass at me, got my face didn't she. Cunt"

Rebecca shudders at the c-word.

"Anyway," she ruffles her stringy dirty blonde hair and grabs my hand again, "Gracie, I'm so sorry about Ben, are you okay?" she asks with a frankness that I recognise instantly in her and have done since we were 11 years old.

"It sucks," I could feel fresh tears coming back (it's AMAZING how much you can cry in a day), "I hate him and I'm never leaving the flat again"

Anya throws her arms around me in a bear hug and then settles into laying her head in my lap and cradling my leg. Yasmin sits on my other side and says firmly, "Look, she may be smashed but she's right, the jerkoff can't get away with that"

Rebecca looks bored, "Well beating him senseless isn't the answer"

I feel a heavy, fresh wave of sorrow through me again, and my heart starts to ache with every beat; the thought of physically hurting him pleases and then distresses me simultaneously. I use the little energy left in my body to sigh and rest my head on Yasmin.

"I just want him to feel what I'm feeling right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment