Friday 12 August 2011

#7 Yasmin- The Pact

 "Oh he will" I say firmly, so assertively I start to sound a little scary.

Grace wipes her snotty nose on my shoulder; I'm wearing a brand new Acne dress but that's by the by. She looks up at me, Anya looks at me, both sets of eyes pleading with me for some good methodical wisdom, but for once I don't have the answer. Ben was a bit of a knobber but Grace honestly thought she was gonna marry the guy; he was her first longterm relationship and love of her life and I know the standard lines

You can do better

I bet he's kicking himself

are just not gonna cut it tonight. I'll change the subject.

"So I broke up with Stefan tonight and he stalked me all the way to your station."

The girls look at me momentarily to judge how to react and I guess from my nonchalant vibe they gathered I wasn't too broken up, and then they cracked up.

"Oh Yaz, the poor fella, I bet he didn't see that coming at all" Eva laughs.

"Good riddance" Rebecca scoffs, "He wasn't intelligent enough for you anyway"

Anya perks up at the mention of Stefan, "Yaz he was hot, would you mind if I shagged him?"

I laugh; genuinely. I don't think I would even care if he had a gangbang with the four of them in front of me, what I do feel is a weight lifted and I'm not sure why. He was certainly a good boyfriend, if a little intense; he doted on me with gifts, we had great sex and even though I have more testosterone than him we had a perfectly enjoyable year together.

Grace perks up a little with this news, "God. This has been a bit of a shit day for us hey"

Rebecca kicks off her heels and lounges back in the chair,  "Um. Welcome to the club bitches. I was dumped 2 weeks ago and being single isn't exactly a rave, whatever Beyonce may claim."

Anya giggles lazily, "Well maybe you need to get laid more"

Rebecca shoots her a look and purses her lips, debating a response but deciding to instead recline back and bite her tongue.

I've yet to fully understand the beef between these two to the full extent. Anya, Eva and Grace have known each other since first school and I think when Rebecca and I came on to the scene there has been a battle between her and Anya for Grace's full affection. As I was the last of the girl crew on the scene I only witness the cold exchanges and occasional catfight between the two of them, but Eva tells me they used to get on well a few years back and that the animosity between them seemed to arrive out of nowhere. Strange, but not worth dwelling on as it's not too often the five of us are together at the same time.

Grace and I see each other daily thanks to our shared workplace at Chic; it's rare to see Eva as she's either working on her dissertation or, ahem, stripping; until two weeks ago Rebecca spent every waking moment with that creep ex of hers, and Anya, well only the Lord himself can predict her schedule.

"It's nice, us all being together again I mean" says Eva, "It's been like...months"

"I'm sorry it had to take adultery for me to pick up the phone and get us together again" Grace says wistfully.

"Well, while we're sharing, my day has been pretty terrible too" adds Eva, draping herself over the sofa arm and dangling her long, shiny black hair over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment